Friday 23 March 2012

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

I monitored the students as they marched in for assembly this morning. After the line of mint green , white and black faded, I took my seat at the back of the stage. Mr. Bubb, the deputy chairman at PHS, took the place of Principal Van Staden. One of the teachers commenced the assembly with a short story and a bible verse taken from Philippians 4:13. He prayed and led the hymn in English. Athletics updates were reported and the Pearsonites bid Emma Oliver farewell.


The assembly was followed by only two academic periods. During register classes, students signed receipt of grade report(s). During the staff meeting earlier today, the teachers were encouraged not to dismiss pupils from class until the closing bell, so teachers reviewed for next term's examination. However, the students were quite restless and the atmosphere was disheartening for teachers. A break is needed for all, perhaps. I had time to discuss with Mrs. Baxter (Pippa) and it has been determined that I will work with her  Grade 9 English and Afrikaans classes, as well as her Grade 10 and 12 classes.

Over the two week Easter break, I am going to reread Beverley Naidoo's On the Other Side of Truth (2000), E.R. Braithwaite's To Sir With Love (1959), and William Shakespeare's Othello, Macbeth, and Romeo and Juliet to catch up with the students and start planning my lessons. 
This past week I can say I have observed different teaching techniques that I admire and... admire less. Let's see how it goes...


What I do know for sure is that everything I do this upcoming month will be to the glory of God and the benefit of the students. I will be strong and add strength and support to these students lives, inside and outside of schools especially during the most disheartening situations. It seems that many of them may come from secure and active homes, but one can never fully tell. I pray that all of the students and staff will keep the faith that was displayed this morning at assembly and return to school April 10th the same way they left if not bet-ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment